The Ohio Womyns Intentional Living Communities (OWILC) is made up of lesbians and female allies of lesbians who are interested in creating intentional communities in Ohio. We started as a Facebook group in 2017 and evolved into a dedicated group of women who organized an LLC in 2021. At the end of 2022, when no additional investors were found to purchase a community property, the LLC was dissolved.
We have moved on from the original Plan A: to purchase property where at least 10 to fifteen women could live in community.
Our Plan B is two fold:
Encourage women to join our neighborhood in Reynoldsburg to provide social and other practical supports as good neighbors.
To provide a space for women to network for creating a variety of intentional communities for lesbians in Ohio.
We know that we can be our authentic selves when we are surrounded by women whose life experiences are similar and who share our feminist and socially conscious values. Since our beginning, we have been determined to make an impact. As a community, we can prosper together.
Who We Are
At Ohio Womyns Intentional Living Community, we are dedicated to addressing this issue. Through cooperation and community empowerment we believe we can facilitate progress in this area.
Affordable, safe housing, is a basic right for everyone in our rich country. Our focus is to encourage mixed-income communities that include some affordable housing and a sustainable environment. There are a variety of ways to include moderate and low-income women as part of our mixed-income community:
* residents or non-residents of the Community, will purchase a home and then rent it out at below market rent to moderate and low-income women;
* lesbian investors who purchase multi-family dwellings that allow for both owner occupancy and rentals;
* and creating micro-communities where lesbian homeowners share their homes by renting spare rooms to women who can't afford or don't want or need their own individual units.
Living Well Together
Ohio Womyns Intentional Living Communities believes that like-minded, inter-generational women can live together intentionally in a way that costs less than living scattered throughout the country and in ways that improve our overall health by removing the negative effects of isolation. We want to live together as neighbors where everyone shares their skills to benefit community members.
We look forward to living in a community where we can:
* share meals at least a couple times a week;
* work cooperatively in groups and committees to create and maintain our Communities and neighborhoods;
* have space to be creative and share our creations with each other;
*share tools, books, rides, music, games and more;
* share activities such as birding, walking, fishing, swimming, gardening, cards, dancing, games, bicycling, kayaking, spirituality, and discussions;
* sit around a fire pit, a swimming pool or on a porch to share each others' company;
* and, occasionally host events that are open to our friends who live outside our Community.